Tuesday, February 28, 2012

DISGRACEFUL STORY ABOUT A DISABLED PERSON IN GHANA

24 year old physically challenged turns to hunting to survive

It is a common thing to see able bodied men go into the bush to hunt for animals.
However, it will shock you to learn that 24 year old physically challenged Mclean Atsu Dzidzienyo who lives in Dodowa in the Dangbme West District of Greater Accra and crawls, has taken to hunting as a means of survival.

Atsu, as he is fondly called, also rears grass-cutter and has over 40 of the bush meat at his farms but goes to hunt for more to make ends meet.
He just completed an Accounting course in one of the Polytechnics, currently doing his national service with the Centre for Employment for Persons with Disability, a local NGO.

Mclean Dzidzienyo is one of 20 PWDs sponsored to undertake a week’s training in free range poultry production at the Youth Leadership Training Institute in Afienya, by Tycriss Live Stock Farms in partnership with the National Youth Authority.

Atsu who is also a member of Ghana’s contingent to last year’s All Africa Games in Maputo, revealed that he usually goes on the hunting expedition with his friends.

“They chase the animals towards my direction and I clock my gun and shoot at them. There is no mountain here in Dodowa that I haven’t climbed or hunted on. One day I caught a pregnant grass-cutter alive and I took it home and kept it in a cage till it delivered. I also caught a male and took home to keep in the cage and now I have 45 of them that I keep with the help of my mother,” Atsu told Adom News’ Jerry Tsatro Mordy.

He also demonstrated how he sometimes climbed tall trees to scan the bush and tell his friends where the animals may be hiding.

He said he is motivated to do many exploits to encourage others in similar condition that they should not let their situation limit them.

“I do everything myself, I walk about 400 metres to my farm in Dodowa and I can carry two buckets of water at the same time to some distance. I don’t want to see myself being a burden to my mother”, he stressed.

He disclosed plans to do a documentary, as a way of encouraging other PWDs particularly those begging for alms on the streets to acquire some skills and make life better for themselves.

No comments: